The exam is written and divided into two parts: Reading Comprehension and Grammar.
In Part 1, there is a scientific passage with 20 multiple choice/matching questions testing general comprehension skills, key vocabulary and referents
In Part 2a, there are 16 multiple choice questions on linkers, problem structures/verb patterns, nominal groups, verb/preposition and noun/preposition combinations, modal verbs of deduction, countable/uncountable nouns, quantifiers and the infinitive of purpose.
In Part 2b, there are 56 completion/transformation exercises on various other aspects of B2 level grammar (see topics below).
The following grammar topics may be included on the exam:
- The present simple
- The present continuous (including action and non-action verbs)
- The past simple: regular and irregular verbs
- The past continuous
- The past perfect
- The future forms: going to for intentions and predictions; the present continuous for future arrangements; will/won’t for predictions; promises, offers, and decisions
- The present perfect simple
- The present perfect continuous
- Conditionals (1st, 2nd and 3rd)
- Reported speech
- The passive form (all tenses)
- Modals: can, could, be able to (ability and possibility); must, have to (obligation); may, might (possibility); should, shouldn’t (advice); must, may, might, might not, can’t (deduction)
- Relative clauses (defining and non-defining): who, whose, which, where, that
- The comparative and superlative
- Gerunds and infinitives
- Articles (use of definite, zero and indefinite articles)
- Prepositions of time and place (at, in, on)
- Common verb/preposition and noun/preposition combinations
- Problem structures: suggest, recommend, allow, advise, enable, make possible, likely, unlikely, appear, seem
- Nominal groups
- The infinitive of purpose
- uncountable and countable nouns
- transition signals (linkers)
Students are given one hour and fifteen minutes to complete the entire exam and are evaluated on a pass-fail basis (idoneità). To pass candidates must answer 61 of the 92 exam questions correctly.